Tuesday, October 17, 2006

First exam taken Score 100%

Well that brought back memories and feelings of uncertainty from my past exam taking days! I rechecked the answers a zillion times before submitting my exam on-line and it was remarkable ... in the blink of an eye I received the answers and a total sense of relief! I did read the chapter 3 times and answered all the practice questions during the week but I still have to say exams can be tricky. They don't just come right out and ask a question - they make you THINK with the way they ask what is true and what is false, etc. Anyways, I made it through the hardest part - Getting Started! I have found that studying does require a certain amount of time to devote and focus on what I am reading and I can only hope that it stays etched in my mind. I did learn quite a bit in this first chapter and I am very happy with the knowledge on nutrition I have acquired. I can see that I am paying much more attention to what I am eating on a daily basis. What really brought the statistics to light was research conducted by the ARS Food Survey Research Group showing how (un)healthy the American Diet really is. I think most people just assume they are eating the right amounts of each food group daily but do you realize that almost half of Americans do not eat ANY fruit at all during a day! We should be eating 2-4 servings. I have to admit I have gone days without any fruit - but never again!

Variety, balance and moderation in our diet is key in order to consume all the nutrients our bodies need to function properly. Choose foods that are nutrient dense instead of ones that contain empty calories - whole wheat banana pancakes are a much healthier choice for breakfast than a sugary doughnut or two. Seriously, think about what you are putting into your body. The affects may not show immediately or even for some time depending on what may be lacking in your diet or even what we may be over-consuming but the increase in obesity, heart disease and diabetes in the American diet is proof we are not taking our health serious.

I am definitely geared up and ready to dive into Chapter 2 .... Think about what you are eating this week and see if you make some sensible changes.

Here's to Your Health ... Cheers!

No comments: